Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Lost Art: The Handwritten Note

This past week I’ve been writing out “Thank You” notes in response to all the generous gifts we recently received for our baby shower.  It got me thinking, other than a birthday card, when is the last time I took the time to write by hand a meaningful note to someone?  My husband and I often scribble each other little surprise messages to put in lunches, I write little “thank you” notes to customers with their orders, but these are all 1 or 2 liners.  In an age of technology, were e-mails and Skype have taken the place of snail mail for communication, writing or receiving a handwritten note or letter has gotten lost.  I genuinely enjoyed writing the thank you cards to all of our family and friends.  I found that it meant a lot to ME personally to be able to express in INK to our family and friends how truly grateful we are not just for their generous gifts, but that they are in our lives.    
 Working as a social worker over the last 9 years, I have on a rare occasion received a handwritten thank you from a client or their family member.  Those little handwritten expressions have always meant the world to me, more than a gift or even a verbal thank you would (not that either of those are not appreciated, depending on the source of course).  In reflecting on all of this, I believe that taking the time to write someone a thank you, in INK, is such a simply way to share joy, happiness, gratitude, and love in this life, and that you, the writer will benefit from it as much as your recipient.  So, I would like to encourage everyone to take the time this week to write out a thank you, a hello or to tell someone how much they mean to you in a handwritten card or letter.  See if it doesn’t add a little ray of happiness in your day as you leave it on a desk or post it at the postal office.  You might just get addicted!  
#29018 Royalty-Free Cartoon Clip Art Of A Dog Standing On His Hind Legs To Mail A Letter On A Contact Internet Web Icon by Andy Nortnik

29 comments:

  1. much more personal than an email! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly write with a pen for very long, I am so out of practice. My hand cramps up! I really should hand write more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's really sad is our 19 year old can print, but not write! some how they forgot to teach his grade how to write!! Not just him - but the whole grade! How does that work?
    The computer has made it too easy for us to just throw out and print a bunch of notes at the same time.
    REally need to get back to personalizing notes.
    THanks for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 11 year old daughter loves her handwritten letters from her Grandmother (even better than her text msgs)...really great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Handwritten notes and letters are such a treat now! I love getting actual MAIL...it rarely happens, but when it does it's a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post....it's inspiring me to write something along those same lines soon.....Hmmmmmmm. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes especially in this era when it's so easy to drop an email, a handwritten note makes all the difference - someone took the trouble to make it special, which is sort of special indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right! Handwritten notes are the most exciting and special to receive. It shows you care enough to take the time to put pen to paper. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW...I followed your blog and am adding you to my team blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love writing actual letters. They are so much more personal, to my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right! I always have my boys hand write thank you notes for presents and visits from relatives! It is very important! Your new baby will learn a lot from such a thoughtful mom and dad!
    Carol from Carol'sJewelryOrchard

    ReplyDelete
  12. So right and well written! I'm going to pick up my pen this week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true- I love receiving mail! I used to have a lot of pen pals when I was a kid. It truly is a lost art!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so nice that you're writing handwritten thank you notes! I love getting handwritten notes as well because it feels more personal. I've considered writing letters to a friend again just to feel like old times :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still have the letters my father wrote my mother while he was stationed in Korea in my baby book.

    There's nothing more special than getting to see his handwriting again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hand written note gives so much meaning its unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I remember having pen pals when I was younger....LOVED getting mail! Hmm, I may just have to write some letters tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love handwritten notes and stationary. I have a container full of it, and should really start using it more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The handmade item is the most valuable item you can receive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love a handwritten note. Seems everyone here does. Let's all pick up a pen and paper and drop a handwritten note to someone dear to us. I plan to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh, I got a handwritten note from a friend nearly a year a go and haven't taken time to write back yet...one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember every Christmas I had an aunt who would buy me new stationery and she would write to me. I had many pen pals growing up and after college, I wrote to many of my friends. Now... I never write. I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I sat down and wrote a letter. How sad!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I handwritten note say so much! They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love receiving notes and cards and need to remember how others might feel the same. I'm definitely a computer girl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for all your comments and insights! I hope everyone feels inspired to write... :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love getting handwritten notes too! (well, legible ones!) I do send a ton of emails though! haha

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love writing letters. I have one very close friend who lives in another province and we write letters back and forth to each other instead of emails or facebook. I love getting a letter from her in the mail!

    ReplyDelete